April 18, 2009

A Difficult Day


Although yesterday was amazing, I came home to some very difficult news. My grandmother passed away yesterday while I was in Seattle. Her health has been rapidly declining over the past few months and she was very much at peace with leaving this world. She was the most amazing woman and I had the privilege of being her granddaughter.

I spent spring break last month back in the Thunder Bay. I took my little boys for a visit with their great grandmother. Not many kids are lucky enough to have that opportunity.

I can't describe the ache that I am feeling right now. I know that what I am feeling is very selfish as she is no longer in any pain, but I will miss her more than words can express.

It is strange how connected we are to people who we care about... I had just stepped out of the conference room yesterday for a coffee when I felt the pressing urge to call my parents who were with my grandma in Ontario. My father told me lastnight that I called as my grandmother took her last breath. My parents didn't tell me when I called as they said my grandmother would have never forgiven them for telling me then. She always worried about all of us before anything else. I do have one source of comfort in all of this... my grandfather passed away when I was five years old, and for the past 29 years I have listened to my grandma talk about "papa" like a love struck teenager. He was the love of her life and they are finally together again.

This is one of the wonderful pictures I was able to get while I was in Thunder Bay in March.


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, sorry to hear about your Gram's passing. You speak of her so lovingly that she was clearly an inspiration in your life. I am happy that you were able to spend time with her at Spring break.

    I am wishing you those moments that will come as you sit and think of the times with her that bring not pain but a smile to your face and joy to your heart.

    Take care, many blessings to you and your family

    Lynn Swanson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Ange - I just read your email about your gramma. I'll keep you in my thoughts today - she sounded like a wonderful woman..

    xo
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. sending our thoughts to you and yours, Ange. Sorry to hear of your loss.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ange,

    I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

    I am finally moving back to North Van tomorrow (Monday) so if you need anything, anything at all please, please don't hesitate to contact me.

    Meilani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ange, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother.

    I lost my grandmother last June as well and it is still difficult. We were so close and I honestly didn't think I was going to make it after she passed but somehow I have. The way I get through it is to know she is with my grandfather (who passed away 8 years ago) and her son (who passed away 33 years ago).

    She will be forever loved and in our hearts, just as your Grandma will be in yours.

    Take care, we are thinking of you.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments; they are GREATLY appreciated. They are what keeps me posting from day to day:)