November 09, 2013

A Little Hiccup

I know I mentioned the other day that I hoped to have some good news to share with you; unfortunately we didn't quite get the news we were hoping for. Five years ago our oldest son, Joe, was diagnosed at the age of 4 with a severe form of Epilepsy called Myclonic Astatic. We went through a very scary period of 72 grand mal seizures in 3 months. Due to the perseverance of an AMAZING neurologist at Vancouver Children's Hospital, we were able to gain control of the seizures and our little man... no longer so little at 9 years old, had gone almost 5 years with no seizures.  After a "normal" EEG last spring, we began the wean off of anti-convulsants.  We went to Children's on Thursday hoping for an all clear diagnosis which would officially mean he had outgrown the epilepsy.  Unfortunately we found out that he has been having absent seizures now.  It would explain some academic struggles he has been having recently so we have found comfort in that, but it wasn't the result we were hoping for.  So for now, we're back on meds.   This is just a little hiccup and I'm sure he'll outgrow it eventually; wish that I had just passed on brown eyes and not the epilepsy:(

Pin It Click Here to Place an Order

Come and LIKE my North Shore Stamper Facebook Page!


5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Ange, I had no idea you were dealing with this! It's good that you have an answer, even if it's not the one you were hoping for, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear you have been going through all this. Sending prayers and hugs your way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ange, thanks for sharing and the update. Thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really sorry to hear you didn't get your good news :( My son has been seizure free for 5 years now on meds, but without them EEG monitoring shows he has seizure activity every 2 minutes.....thank god for meds! Chin up...your son is still young & there's still hope he will outgrow his epilepsy. Keeping my fingers crossed for you xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments; they are GREATLY appreciated. They are what keeps me posting from day to day:)